Sonntag, 8. Mai 2016

The IBIS Tarot

Well my memory was good to me and I want to post my second ever tarot deck. It was a present of my mother when we took a walk through the streets a very long time ago. We visited an esoteric shop and the tarot deck that expressed me the most as a child was the so called Ibis Tarot.
The Ibis is a so called Raider-Waite clone that borrows the artwork from Egyptian myth and transfomrs it to classic Tarot meanings. But there are many debates of the origin of the very first tarot and some say it all started in ancient Egypt. The Ibis as a deck itself is quite a modern take. Many of the cards has been renaimed to fit to their egyptian counterparts. So the fool becames the crocodile, the Moon became the Twilight but the most obscure is the Devil card which is probably my favourite, it shows now an deity called Typhon and is shown as a Hermaphrodite to compromise both forces male and female. It's 78 cards deck with the 22 majors fully illustrated but not the pips. The other downside of this deck was for me the Death card, I mean the whole egyptian mythology had so many possibilities, Osiris and Anubis anyone? But all they came up with was another uninspired death card! But apart from that I just love this deck there is so much symbolism in many of this card like the hidden entrance of the black pyramide of the Twilight/Moon card.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen